What To Look For
The back of a sunscreen bottle can sometimes look like a foreign language. Do you know what all of it means? Then why are you putting it on your skin? Here, Araya walks you through the 6 things to look for in a sunscreen.
- SPF: SPF stands for sun protective factor and it tells you how long it takes for the suns UV radiation would take to redden your skin versus without any sunscreen. If you would normally burn in 10 minutes, SPF 15 multiplies that factor by 15, meaning you can stay in the sun for 150 minutes before burning. SPF 30 blocks 96.7% of UVB, while SPF 50 blocks 98%. Just remember to reapply often and wear a sun protective visor.
- Photostable: Make sure your sunscreen is formulated with photostable active ingredients. This means the ingredients won’t break down as easily when exposed to the sun’s UV rays. Even though your sunscreen is photostable you still need to reapply it regularly, or wear a sun protective visor.
- Broad Spectrum: Broad-spectrum label means that the UVA protection is proportional to the UVB protection. Since UVA rays are the ones responsible for premature aging, so make sure your sunscreen includes the words "broad-spectrum." UVA rays can pass through glass, make sure you use broad spectrum protection daily, whether you're outside or not.
- Water-Resistant: If it's humid outside, or if you're planning an activity that involves swimming or sweating opt for a water-resistant product. Water resistant sunscreen offers protection for 40 or 80 mins, but it's wise to reapply after swimming or excessive sweating, just to be safe.
- Formulation: According to the FDA, spray sunscreens are not as effective as lotions, as it's hard to gauge where the spray goes. Not only that, aerosols are very damaging to the environment. Although sprays are easier (and sometimes the only way to apply on a wiggly child) do yourself and the Earth a favor and opt for lotion over sprays.
- Right For Skin Type: For acne-prone skin, look for an oil-free or "non-greasy" sunscreen. For sensitive skin, try a mineral-based sunscreen. For pregnancy, use a physical sunscreen instead of a chemical one. And don't forget to apply on your little ones! Children are at an especially high risk for sun damage and skin cancer because of their rapidly-growing skin cells.
- wear a full face visor that provides UPF 50+
- apply a sunscreen powder
- apply a sunscreen cushion
- apply a sunscreen mist- There are a lot of sunscreen mists in the market. However, mists are the least preferred option. When it is just sprayed directly onto your face, you cannot get an even coverage and your skin will be exposed to harmful UV rays. To ensure full protection, you must first spray a decent amount onto your face or hands and then use your fingers to spread out the sunscreen evenly across your face.
How Much Sunscreen To Use
Are you using the right amount of sunscreen? In order for sunscreen to work as advertised, make sure you are using these amounts:
☀️One shot glass worth ever 2 hours for face and body
☀️one quarter sized for face, neck, and chest separately
What Ingredients to Avoid
Sunscreen can contain harmful chemicals. Try to opt for mineral sunscreens, especially if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Some of the chemicals found in sunscreens can disrupt your endocrine system, which is responsible for your hormones. If you are having hormonal pigmentation issues or hormonal acne, try ditching the chemical sunscreen and switching to a sun visor and mineral sunscreen. Here are our top 5 choices for sunscreens and a handy toxicity rating for ingredients.
5 Twists On Sunscreen
Here are 5 sunscreen twist you should be trying! 🏄♀️🏊🏽♀️🤽🏽♀️
1. Sunscreen Powder- we love @eminenceorganics sun defense minerals. SPF 30 and comes in translucent, or a tinted version to provide a nice no-makeup makeup look!
2. Sunscreen Mist- all about @supergoop PLAY 100% mineral SPF 30 mist
3. Blue Light Sunscreen- Anti-Pollution drops are formulated to perfection by @drbarbarasturm
4. Caffeine Sunscreen- we love neogen!
5. Hair Sunscreen- again @supergoop perfects this with their POOF 100% mineral powder